Friday, December 5, 2008

Why we are not Emergent

Will just finished his last on line class for Southern. He told me he was excited to read some of the books he had been wanting to read but weren't on his reading list for class. He told me how he was going to reorganize his book shelf and put some of his "text" books away. When we moved back to the Dallas area, we didn't have any room for his library of books so we only took out the ones he would need for class. As I looked at the boxes and boxes of books that line my closet and the piles of books on the shelf next to our bed. I asked myself why Will had been in seminary for almost 4 years and I had never once read one of his books. All this knowledge at my disposal and I was just letting it collect dust. (unfortunately physically and figuratively). Think of all the spiritual meat I was letting go to waste. I asked Will what book he would recommend. Knowing God by J.I. Packer was his response. Fair enough, but lets just ease myself in here. I am a new mom running on little sleep so I skimmed the titles of several books and began a mental list of books I intend to read. One popped out at me. Will and I have had conversations about the Emergent Church before and I have even read a book by one of the movements leaders. I wasn't too fond of it, but couldn't really put my finger on why. One of the books Will hasn't had time to read yet, Why we are not Emergent peeked my interest. I read the first chapter and couldn't put it down. It explains the Emergent movement (fairly) and explains its falsities biblically, from two guys who should be engulfed in the new emergent "discussion". I am loving it so far.
I'll get around to J.I Packer but wanted to let you know if you have been wondering about the emergent church movement read Why we are Not Emergent by Ted Kluck and Kevin DeYoung. Check it out:






Why We’re Not Emergent (By Two Guys Who Should Be)
“You can be young, passionate about Jesus Christ, surrounded by diversity, engaged in a postmodern world, reared in evangelicalism and not be an emergent Christian. In fact, I want to argue that it would be better if you weren’t.”The Emergent Church is a strong voice in today’s Christian community. And they’re talking about good things: caring for the poor, peace for all men, loving Jesus. They’re doing church a new way, not content to fit the mold. Again, all good. But there’s more to the movement than that. Much more.Kevin and Ted are two guys who, demographically, should be all over this movement. But they’re not. And Why We’re Not Emergent gives you the solid reasons why. From both a theological and an on-the-street perspective, Kevin and Ted diagnose the emerging church. They pull apart interviews, articles, books, and blogs, helping you see for yourself what it’s all about.

No comments:

 

avandia lawsuit