Friday, August 6, 2010

In the Footsteps of Jesus

As I was packing up Will's Books the other day, I found a book on tape that I had yet to listen to. It was called In the Footsteps of Jesus: One man's Journey through the life of Christ, by Bruce Marchiano. When I was in High school  Matthew, a movie from the Visual Bible came out. It was a word for word reenactment from the NIV Bible. My dad brought home the VHS set of 4 tapes (yes VHS! And I still use my VHS by the way) and I watched them over and over. I loved it!

I remember being drawn to Jesus. Most Jesus movies portrayed Jesus as a solemn, stoic man, which is confusing and counter to his joyful nature. This Jesus smiled! He showed his love in everything even when he was angry with the pharisees. It is one of my favorite movies!

The book on tape that I found was a biography from the man who played Jesus, Bruce Marchiano. He tells about his experience playing the son of God. I listened to it on my way to and from Greenville. I must have cried 8 or 9 times. It is so hard to understand the depth of God's love for us, the true depth of his love. I now understand why I was drawn to this portrayal of Jesus so much. It is because God had his hand in the making of this movie, from beginning to end. I wish everyone could  see the movie and read this book.

Here is a link to Bruce's website and the book that I listened to.

Here is the link to the bookstore It has been a long time since the movie was released but now they have a 15th anniversary edition. Order it too, it is amazing!

If you can order it, or find it on Amazon it will change the way you view Christ forever.
He has other books now too, maybe I can order those and read them. Ever since I finished the book I haven't been able to think about what Bruce's experience must have revealed to him about our Father. I want so badly to know Christ that deeply too, and yet I don't think I could handle it. It is like when God protected Moses from seeing all of him. Moses couldn't handle all of God's Glory,
and I know I can't either, but my feeble mind longs to know Christ more.
At the very least I want to know him as much as I can handle this side of heaven.

No comments:

 

avandia lawsuit